Sunday 30 September 2012

Celebrating Mid-Autumn Festival in Malaysia

30th September is the Mid Autumn Festival in Malaysia and several other countries.
 It's the only time in the year where I could eat moon cakes.  ʕ̡̢̡*✪௰✪ૢʔ̢̡̢

There were plenty of moon cakes sold at bakery shops and malls a few months before the exact date of the mid-autumn festival day. Moon cakes can be found at wet or night markets during non festival days but there were less varieties sold. They rarely sell big moon cakes on normal days. Small moon cake the size of a biscuit with red bean paste are common to be found at wet or night markets on normal days.

My parents bought the moon cakes from the shopping mall. Some people bought the moon cakes to be offered to the gods at the Buddhist god's altar together with some chickens or pork, bunch of burning incense sticks, some steamed ram horn nuts and small purple sweet potatoes.

Ram horn nuts is a type of water chestnut resembling buffalo horn with curly C shaped  pointy horns. I had seen my grandaunt served those on the altar under the moon before during mid-autumn festival's moon viewing celebration at night. She likes to offer steamed chicken to the god too during any of the Chinese festival celebrations. I wonder why it must be steamed but not a roast chicken??

 Black Forest Moon Cake

Moon Cake with chocolate flavored mung bean paste and cherry in the middle.
My mom baked some moon cakes too. The home made mung bean paste made by my mom is not as smooth as those sold at shop..it's not in the picture.

 Doubled Yolked Mung Bean Paste Moon Cake with Melon Seed

The 2 salty duck egg yolks in the moon cake is one of my favorite. I prefer single yolk than double yolk. There are less mung bean paste in a double yolked moon cake.

My pink strawberry girl paper lantern

Bought these for fun. I've an electronic lantern too with rainbow color LED blinking lights not in the picture.
The paper lantern not that durable but it's fun to play with real candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment